Discovery Natural Resources LLC is a domestic, onshore exploration and production company with over 1,000 wells in operation in Texas.
Reporting to the HSE Manager this position will support field operations on matters within the scope of the primary responsibilities and detailed job functions described below. The successful candidate will bring generalist HSE technical knowledge and passion to work closely with existing field resources to build HSE organizational capability. Depending on experience and education, this position may be filled at various levels. This position will be based out of the Barnhart Field Office and serve the Company Barnhart and Ozona locations.
- Administer field HSE program focusing on prudent practices to assess, document, and proactively mitigate HSE issues and provide the HSE Manager and field leadership and operations team regular reports on performance.
- Support the HSE function in developing and tracking HSE initiative performance in the field. This includes supporting behavioral-based HSE programs.
- Conduct regular field HSE visits and within scope of duties to identify, assess, address and support mitigation of issues.
- Train and educate field operations personnel on routine duties related to their HSE responsibilities.
- Lead topic discussions from Safe Practices Manual
- Coaches and counsels field level staff and contractors on HSE issues
- Coordinate field visits by third party environmental consultants. Work with HSE team members and field operations management to assure timely response to findings and recommendations. Report to HSE Manager and field operations on a regular basis the status of third party recommendations.
- Develop and provide briefings on existing and emerging environmental rules and regulations to assure the
- Company is proactive and prudent in tactics to address regulations.
- Develop and deliver briefings on emerging health and safety issues.
- Represent the Company at local level peer groups to learn from and share management practices associated with field level HSE duties.
- Conduct, document, recommend and present investigative findings and observations for HSE incidents.
- Key member of safety committee and assure findings are passed onto appropriate departments
- Supporting member of the emergency response team
- Significant contributor in developing contractor safety programs
- Prepare and deliver materials for monthly HSE meetings and as required other field level meetings, focused on operational environmental programs, practices and procedures.
- Communicate directly with Texas regulatory agencies on behalf of Discovery
- Acts as delegate for HSE Supervisor at internal or external meetings
- Work with Operations team on development of Standard Operating Procedures
- Direct topic discussions with SOP team on HSE related issues as needed
- Provide support on response, remediation, and documentation of leaks to insure compliance both internally and with appropriate agencies.
- Responsible for work front inspections
- Identify multi-media environmental issues in field. Taking direction from HSE Manager and field leadership, develop and implement programs to address issues. This includes, but is not limited to air emissions control, spill response and mitigation, NORM testing, baseline water sampling program, and waste identification and characterization studies. Prepare and provide regular reports on program implementation and performance.
- Respond to releases. Provide initial response support, evaluation and recommendation on all releases. Investigate the basic causes of releases and report findings to HSE Manager and field leadership and operations team. Support HSE Manager in preparing regulatory reports and coordination of follow up visits by regulatory agencies.
Health and Safety
- Taking direction from HSE Manager and field operations management, conduct scheduled and random audits of field activities. This includes, but is not limited to company and contractor field activities involving construction, operations, drilling, work overs and completions.
- Support operations staff “potential hazards/near miss” reporting by overseeing tracking and closure of reports.
- Conduct safety classes including: H2S Safety, NORM, Lock-Out/Tag-Out, Spill Prevention and Response, Respiratory Protection, Hazard Communication, First Aid/CPR, Back Safety, Hearing Conservation, Bloodborne Pathogens, Personal Protective Equipment, Fire Safety, Stress Management, Ergonomics, Environmental Awareness, Office Safety, Outdoor Safety, etc.
- Perform H2S Surveys.
Education and Experience
- Associate degree in environmental or safety sciences, engineering, physical or biological sciences or similar preferred
- At least 5 years of HSE experience in the oil and gas industry
- Possess or ability to attain ASP/CSP or similar within two years of employment
- Air compliance experience preferred
Skills and Knowledge
- Commitment to Discovery Natural Resources expectations and core values.
Exhibits professional demeanor at all times and has demonstrated ability to relate to a wide array of situations and people.
- Knowledgeable of HSE techniques and methods.
- Organizational skills, detail oriented, skilled interviewer.
- Demonstrates strong communication skills and presentation acumen at all levels.
- Clean driving record and ability to travel is required.
- Position will be on call for field emergencies.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Programs
- Proficient knowledge of OSHA, Environmental regulations as well as internal Safe Practices Manual.
- Working knowledge of production, work over and drilling rigs.
- Knowledgeable in providing HSE support to multiple disciplines, such as, production, work over, completion or drilling operations
NOTE: This job description is NOT intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the Company