Discovery Natural Resources LLC is a domestic, onshore exploration and production company with over 1,000 wells in operation in Texas.
Under the direction of the Production Foreman, the Lead Operator is responsible for assisting Lease Operators with daily operations within the geographic area of responsibility. Must be knowledgeable of production equipment and have advanced technical and mechanical skills to maximize production and minimize operating expenses. The Lead Operator trains new Operators to produce their assigned wells effectively and safely. Reviews production data capture software for accuracy and production related problems. Assists the Operator with putting new wells on-line and assists Production Foreman with overseeing the operation of production facilities. Ensures all work is performed in compliance with Company policies and procedures including environmental, health and safety standards. Directly involved in and supports a culture that is selfless, accountable, and never settling. May frequently work a variable days off schedule.
- Provide relief to the Foreman when the Foreman is on vacation, out sick, or otherwise engaged in work related tasks. Can be the point person, direct traffic, and manage focused projects when required.
- Assist Operators in solving mechanical problems on production equipment.
- Train entry-level Operators on all facets of job.
- Recommends changes to improve production or lower costs.
- Review production software for accuracy and for any production-related problems.
- Assist Operators with production problems, such as wells loaded up or plunger not running.
- Spend time with problem wells to maximize production.
- Serve as relief for Operators who are on days off including the input of production data into eVIN.
- Working knowledge and minor repairs to measurement devices in the field, such as turbine meters, orifice meters, Coriolis meters, LACT’s etc.
- Ensure all contractors and employees are working in compliance with the policies and procedures of the Company including environmental, health and safety standards.
- Expected to lead turn in line, return to service, return to production, or other special project efforts as assigned.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum 10 years of oil and gas experience, with at least 5 years as a lease operator, well optimizer, or well technician.
- Ability to climb stairs, as required on 10-, 15-, 20- & 25-foot production tanks.
- Ability to lift 55 lbs 3 feet above ground level.
- Possible exposure to numerous oil field chemicals.
- Ability to work with pumping units which may be 15 to 20 feet above ground.
- Periodic exposure to all types of weather conditions for long periods of time.
- Ability to hear over loud background noises.
- Ability to regularly work in a fast-paced environment full of risks.
Skills and Knowledge
- Commitment to Discovery Natural Resources expectations and core values.
- Must be a cultural fit (Humble, Hungry, People Smart).
- Self-starter, able to perform duties with minimal supervision.
- Strong mechanical knowledge of production equipment.
- Must have a background in rod lift, plunger lift, and gas lift operations.
- Ability to recognize changes and potential problems; exercise independent thinking to solve problems.
- Possess the necessary skills to navigate the various communication needs (phone, face to face, text, Teams, e-mail) with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong math skills and computer knowledge.
- Possess the necessary skillsets to perform data-based analysis using available tech (excel, SCADA, etc.).
- Valid driver license and good driving record.
- Ability to determine if safety hazard exists and take appropriate action.
- Ability to operate a variety of oilfield production related equipment and make repairs.
- Can conceptualize what is going on downhole and be able to communicate it to the Operators and Foreman.
- Ability to identify production problems, take the initiative, and have the mechanical and technical skills to solve them.
* Majority of work will be outdoors under variable weather conditions. May require occasional lifting of heavy objects. Physical ability to perform routine maintenance on oil and gas wells as required.